
Tonight Brandon went to a gun safety class so that he would be able to get a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Not sure why since the only gun he is allowed to carry is a plastic one. I have been going back and forth on this topic and I am not sure how I feel about having a gun in my house. If we didn't have kids the answer would be YES. After living near Memphis for 5 years I think most people do and I don't blame them. Last October I got him a gun safe for his birthday. You know the ones that have a place for your hand and you type in a code for it to open so no keys that you would have to find or for the kids to find to get the gun out. That was my way of saying you have the go ahead to get a gun. Well he returned it. I should have known, he has returned every gift I have given him except the home made ones. Which I am sure he has tried to do at Wal-mart or something. Anyways, in the end I was glad cause I don't know if I want a gun. Basically it all comes down to this, if one of our kids were to get it some how and ended up hurting or killing themselves or someone else I don't think that I could live with that. Last week I read a story about a 4 year old that shot his babysitter because he stepped on the little boys foot. Luckily the babysitter was okay but it scares me. So my question is to the peeps that have guns, how do you handle that with kids that are too young to understand how serious they are? This class started at 6 and doesn't end until midnight so I am prepared for him to come home and be bouncing off the walls carrying a picture of the gun he wants to get. Oh well at least it has given me time to start on finishing off the kids room. I am a little disappointed with the turn out so far. It reminds me of wonder bread. I will post a picture when I get it close and you can vote if I need to redo it.



6 comments:
Pat has many guns! He is a hunter. We purchased a gun safe which is locked and in the garage. Not only that, there are no bullets in the gun. We don't even have bullets unless Pat is going hunting for his particular animal which requires different guns etc.
I was concerned about this too. I agree with what Pat has said about it, "Teach your children!" Arianna knows never to mess with Pat's guns. Makes it a lot easier when the guns are locked up in the garage and I don't even know the code to the safe.
Hey Amy-We grew up with tons of guns in the house (for hunting purposes plus my Dad was a cop for a while, then a firefighter, then military etc) and seven kiddos. The only mishap we had was when my older brother got a rifle out and his friend was looking at it and shot a hole in my parents' mattress. We kept the guns locked up and the ammo in a completely separate place and also locked up. I think the key is just to educate yourselves and your children about gun safety and have open communication. That way the kids don't feel like they have to go snooping around in secret. Good luck, it is such a tough issue when you have small kids in the house.
Love, Kelli
I think the gun safe was a brilliant gift and I say a fair compromise is if he wants a gun in the house then it must be locked up. That's my 2 cents anyway. :)
Craig just got his first gun for Christmas. I was reluctant, too. But the ammo is no where near the locked up gun. And the kids don't know where either is.
But I must say - going to the range to go shooting is so much fun!
Well you know about our situation. Connor knows probably just as much about them as Jeff and I think that is a good thing. He knows that they are dangerous and he can't bother them without Jeff. I think that Jeff teaching Connor about them gives Connor the opportunity to respect them and we reinerate over and over again that they are dangerous. I think when you don't talk about it that is when kids get curious. And of course, just put them up where they can't get to them or in a safe...You have to do what is best for your family though.. Good luck - will have to find out the outcome about that. I am with Cheri too, you need to go shooting with him (or get him to do what Jeff did for me and get me the class to go without him). I will go with you if you ever want to too!
Post a Comment